Herbal Recipes for Dry Skin
Some very simple tips for looking after your dry skin with the help of herbs.
1. Aloe Vera heals, soothes and moisturises. It also helps to remove dead skin cells. Apply Aloe Vera gel topically on areas affected by dry, scaly skin.
2. Apricot oil is nourishing and moisturizing and makes a good cleanser. Wash off any excess oil with a lukewarm infusion of Chamomile or Elderflower. Use apple cider vinegar toner to restore the PH balance.
3. Chamomile Cleansing Milk – ½ cup of full fat milk, 2 tablespoons Chamomile flowers. Combine the ingredients and heat on a very slow flame for 30 minutes. DO NOT BOIL. Leave for 2 hours to infuse then strain out the herbs. The cleansing milk can be kept in the fridge for a week.
4. Borage, fennel, coltsfoot or calendula tea also helps improve the skin. Add 1 tsp. of herbs to 1 cup of boiling water and drink daily.
5. Wheat Germ Facial – Combine one tablespoon of wheat germ oil to one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. Apply to skin for 15 minutes. Rinse off with warm water, and then use cold water to close the pores.
6. A basic PH balancing wash can be made very simply. Combine 3 cups herbal infusion with 1/3 cups apple cider vinegar. Use this restoring rinse after your regular cleansing (before moisturising). Apply with cotton ball or simply splash on (avoid your eyes.) Other herbs that work well for dry skin besides Borage are Lady’s Mantle, Marsh mallow, Parsley, and Sorrel.