Herbal Potions for Brown Hair
Some simple herbal tips to enhance your brown hair.
1) Save the water from the spuds you are cooking for dinner tonight, it’ll come in handy here. Boil unpeeled potatoes, cool the water slightly. Soak a brush or cotton ball and saturate hair, being careful not to get any on skin. Leave on hair for 20 minutes then rinse out.
2) Strong infusions of any of the following herbs can be used as a rinse for brown hair: Rosemary, Sage, Raspberry leaves, Parsley & Catnip.
3) Natural Brunette Hair Dye: Make a litre of triple strength black coffee, Shampoo your hair as usual then rinse clean hair with cooled coffee. Repeat several times reusing the same liquid. Leave final rinse for at least 15 minutes then rinse with clear water. Note: I have no idea if instant coffee works so I probably would give that option a miss.
4) Give your brown hair a boost – said to fade grey as well as relieve dandruff – 2 cups fresh sage, 1 cup fresh rosemary, 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar. Place herbs in a large pot (not aluminium!!) add enough water to just cover. Cover. Bring to a boil, then straight away lower heat to a low simmer. Simmer for 6 hours (make sure the water doesn’t boil off) then steep overnight. Strain then add enough water to make 5 cups. Add vinegar and bottle. Use this as a rinse after you wash your hair. Rub it thoroughly into your scalp. Lightly rinse it so that some remains in your hair.
5) Chestnut Highlights Rinse -Make 2 cups of black tea, add 2 tablespoons dried rosemary leaves. Simmer for 30minutes. Strain and discard the solids. Once cooled, rinse your clean hair, catching the run off in bowl. Allow the mixture to sit for a minute before pouring the remaining fluid over your head again. Massage into hair and rinse with warm water. Repeat weekly.
The natural methods of colouring your hair are not instant. Unlike the chemical products these methods take repeated application over a period of time to bring out the desired result.
Check out Infusions vs Decoctions to learn the difference between these two extraction methods.